Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unlikely that Pets Were in Cargo Hold of US Airways 1549
January 15, 2009

Who knew that there was a "ditch" button for emergency water landings?! Cool.

The fact that Capt. Sullenberger ditched this plane successfully in a high-density area, and there were no fatalities (unfortunate Canadian Geese excepted) is nothing short of a miracle. His experience, skills, and quick, intelligent decisions likely averted what could have been a disaster. I acknowledge it and I’m appropriately grateful. The crew and the rescue teams were superb; everyone involved warrents high praise.

But while the rescue was happening, I was worried about pets that may have been in the cargo hold. The mainstream press hasn't made mention of this to date (and yes, I've been searching rather exhaustively).

I am who I am unapologetically in this regard. The welfare of animals will always be in the forefront of my mind.

I’m pleased to say that as far as I can tell, there are no reports of pet fatalities yet. From http://blogs.dogtime.com/all?page=3:

THURSDAY, JANUARY 15, 2009 3:08 PM
Were there pets on the US Airways flight that crash-landed in the Hudson?
by Pet Relocation Blog

The news has now broken that a US Airways flight from La Guardia (LGA) to Charlotte, NC (CLT) has crash-landed in the Hudson River.

As someone who works closely with airlines, my first instinct was to wonder if there were any pets on the flight. We don't use US Airways, mainly because they are not set up to handle live animals under "pet safe" conditions.

The US Airways pets as cargo website says that "For the safety of your pet, US Airways does not accept any animals in its cargo compartments." In this scenario, this is the best thing, as an unaccompanied pet could have easily gotten overlooked in the rescue endeavors if no one on board was aware of its presence (or thinking about it). However, then the US Airways site mentions what they call "Exception Cities."

US Airways accepts dogs, domestic cats and birds as checked baggage on nonstop US Airways Shuttle flights in the BOS/DCA/LGA markets only. Connections are not permitted. The customer must travel on the same flight. Customers should advise US Airways when they wish to
transport a pet as checked baggage on a US Airways Shuttle flight.

Presumably, someone could have been on the flight from LGA to CLT with their pet as checked baggage in the cargo hold. I hope that if they did, they informed the rescue crews of their pets being on board so the pet could be rescued. We are glad to hear that all passengers on board are safe, and our kudos go out to the pilot!

And from http://www.phillyblog.com/ (toxigal)
no worries about cargo hold pets!

Quote:Originally Posted by Sailaway
"Ditching" a.k.a. water landings can be surprisingly soft, if properly carried out. The pilots of the USAirways plane did a textbook-perfect one, based on witness reports. I can't think of a better place to ditch than the Hudson thanks to all the ferries out there. Certainly, this was horrific, but it could have turned out much, much worse. However, I feel bad for any pets that might have been trapped in the cargo hold.

Usairways only allows pets in the cargo department on its nonstop shuttle flights between Boston, New York, and DC.

[edited to add, other airlines generally have weather related restrictions for pets in the cargo hold. it is unlikely any would allow them in the cold weather currently
blasting the NE.]